Vintage Hand Embroidered Mexican Dress


dress: vintage via Think Twice - wedges: Texto - straw purse: Pimkie - sunglasses: c/o Oasap

Some time has passed since I was almost exclusively shopping my gear for pennies at Think Twice. The whole obviously vintage look doesn't appeal to me as much anymore, and it is just too easy to pick up garbage when it costs less than a sandwich. But I still think there are treasures to be found while thrifting, and this dress is definitely one of my luckiest finds in all of my thrifting years. It is obviously hand embroidered, 100% cotton and straight from Mexico: the kind of piece they'd try and recreate at Forever21 or H&M, but without the authenticity. And yes, I'm enough of a postmodernist to not bat an eye at talking about authenticity even though you might as well see me wearing a knock off tomorrow. SORRY NOT SORRY. Whenever I see it, I imagine some really glamourous, free spirited 70s woman picking this up while sojourning in South America.

I do think you're supposed to go with the vibe of beautiful pieces like this one. I would try and "fashion it up" by wearing it with like, sneakers. A dress like this needs a solid 70s shoe, like a wedge or a clog. I'd pair it with something like these classic Le Comptoir Scandinave clogs in a heartbeat!

meer klompen bij Spartoo


And no belts. A sack dress should be free to be a sack dress. AMIRITE? Nice and airy for hot, Mexican summer days.


12 comments

  1. This dress is gorgeous and that little tattoo simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is gorgeous! The hand embroidery is such a lovely little touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! And your shoes look really comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mooie vondst! Zo'n kleedje zoek ik al superlang! Het staat je goed, past perfect bij dit zomers weertje!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ik had ook al lang gezocht, zo blij toen ik deze vond!

    ReplyDelete
  6. trés jolie robe, sa donne envie d'aller au méxique

    ReplyDelete
  7. That color is PERFECT on you. And the sunlight in the photos make me DIE. There certainly is somethign to be said for authenticity.

    scarlettandgiselle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gimme. I've been looking for a dress like this forever (but haven't in a while. . .back to eBay!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the dress! I started following you on bloglovin. :) xo

    x Rowan
    www.rebelsmaarromantisch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohhhh superschoon kleedje, tres boho!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely inspirational embroidery photos. I especially love your
    embroidered hearts and buttons. They are so cute. Maybe you could use
    your embroidered cloths to make a patchwork bag or cushion. It would
    look lovely!

    ReplyDelete